America Latina y el Caribe: un laboratorio para el futuro (Spanish subtitles)
"Path towards mainstreaming biodiversity in Costa Rica national policy" - Costa Rica President
The COP 26 UN Climate Change Conference, hosted by the UK in partnership with Italy, will take place from 31 October to 12 November 2021 in the Scottish Event Campus (SEC) in Glasgow, UK.
The UN’s top climate change official Patricia Espinosa urges countries with developed economies to take the lead, according to the principle of “common but differentiated responsibilities,” one of the pillars of the Paris Agreement. As for the private sector, she called on all businesses and investors to align their portfolios with the Paris Agreement and the Sustainable Development Goals by 2024.
While acknowledging the significant challenge global leaders will face in Glasgow, Patricia Espinosa stated: “Billions around the world look to them to make the bold and courageous decisions necessary to finally implement the Paris Agreement, significantly boost climate ambition and ultimately get humanity off its current path of destruction.”
The formal opening of the conference takes place on 31 Oct 2021. The UK Prime Minister Boris Johnson has invited Heads of State and Government to attend the World Leaders Summit from 1-2 November as part of the first part of the COP 26 High-level Segment.
The following thematic days are to be considered:
- Wednesday 3rd: Finance including a NWP Focal point Forum on Biodiversity and climate change adaptation
- Thursday 4th: Energy including an NGO dialogue
- Friday 5th: Youth and public empowerment day, including a Intergenerationaldialogue session including participation of GYBN
- Saturday 6th November: A dedicated Nature day is planned for the 6th November with addresses and numerous sessions on the inextricable linkages between the climate and the biodiversity crises, the sides of the same coins. including sessions with Business for Nature, conservation NGOs,…
- Monday 8th: Adaptation, Loss and Damage
- Tuesday 9th: Gender Day
- Wednesday 10th: Transport day
- Thursday 11th: City, Regions Built Environment with sessions day including sessions involving ICLEI’s participation
See the overview schedule for an indicative overview of events of the conference. A detailed schedule of meetings and events will be available closer to the start of the conference.
This year, the physical conference is augmented by the COP26 Platform, a tool to help participants manage their time, connect with other participants and get the most out of this year’s COP. This platform is accessible only to registered participants.
“The devastating impacts of climate change are here for all to see. There is still time to limit long-term warming to 1.5°C, but this window of opportunity is rapidly closing,” says Inger Andersen, Executive Director of UNEP.
“At COP26 and beyond, the world’s governments must step up, taking rapid and immediate steps to close the fossil fuel production gap and ensure a just and equitable transition. This is what climate ambition looks like.” adds Inger Andersen.