COP 10 in Nagoya, Japan was a landmark victory for local and subnational governments. Not only was the Strategic Plan for Biodiversity, including the associated 20 Aichi Biodiversity Targets, for the 2011-2020 period adopted by the Parties in decision X/2, but the Plan of Action (PoA) on Subnational Governments, Cities, and Other Local Authorities for Biodiversity (2011-2020) was also adopted and endorsed by the CBD Parties in Decision X/22.
The adoption of this PoA was a pivotal moment in highlighting the critical role of local and subnational governments in implementing the global biodiversity agenda, since it provides suggestions to Parties on how to mobilize and coordinate local actions on biodiversity, to bring national strategies and plans into the local context. Since then, there has been a significant increase in momentum on this advocacy, with at least one official decision dedicated to local and subnational governments emerging from each COP. This is further testimony to CBD Parties’ and the SCBD’s recognition of the vital role that cities and regions play in contributing to the CBD objectives. COP 14, held in Sharm El-Sheikh, Egypt, in 2018, surpassed this proud tradition with an unprecedented number of decisions – seven in total – that relate to local and subnational governments.
The period since COP 14 has seen unprecedented advocacy, mobilisation and coordination of local and subnational action under the auspices of the local and subnational roadmap on the journey to COP 15 in China and the associated consultation and negotiation process on the post-2020 GBF. The adoption of the Post 2020 GBF at COP 15 is increasingly being referred to as being the “Paris moment for nature,” and the “coalition” of local and subnational government networks, representing the constituency, is calling for a stepped-up, dedicated decision and a renewed PoA that is more ambitious than ever before.
At this important moment, work on the review of Decision X/22, the PoA (2011 – 2020), highlighting achievements at the global, national and all subnational levels, identifying gaps and strengths in the Plan of Action, and recommendations of what and where adjustments need to be made to guarantee a stronger and stepped up Plan of Action is underway. This review will be presented and co-developed via online consultation through the Edinburgh process before being presented at SBI-3 in Montreal in August 2020 and the 3rd meeting of the OEWG.
This webinar is organized by ICLEI Cities Biodiversity Center with the support of the Post 20202 Biodiversity Framework.EU support project. It is part of the Post 2020 Local and Subnational Government Information Webinars series held monthly to keep the local and subnational government constituency, networks, and partners up to date on key milestones and the participatory preparation process of the Post 2020 Global Biodiversity Framework (GBF) on the roadmap to COP 15.
These webinars help echoing and organizing the voice of local and subnational governments in the Convention on Biological Diversity (CBD) for advancing the Action Agenda for Nature and People and in the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework (GBF) development process.
As a result of the uncertainty created by the COVID-19 situation, constituencies were warned to stand up ready to reorganize themselves and the SNGs and cities consultation process, pending on to the new dates of the CBD process events roadmap.
The Thematic Workshop for Subnational, Regional & Local Governments for the Post-2020 Global Biodiversity Framework, initially scheduled in Edinburgh on 4-6 April 2020, has been postponed to an undefined later date and will take place under a webinar format.
Watch the full recording of AM session:
- The speakers’ presentations from the 10am SAST session and the 3pm SAST session.
- The full recording of the PM webinar
- The link to the past webinar recordings in the series
- For more information on the Edinburgh Process, visit the event website.
- To register to participate or make an enquiry on the Edinburgh Process, email email@example.com
- Links to ICLEI’s CBC website, the NATURVATION Website, the Secretariat of the Convention on Biological Diversity (SCBD), and CitiesWithNature.
- Other important documents and information related to this webinar series can be found on the Post 2020 Platform for Local and Subnational Governments.
Register now by clicking on the links below:
- 16th April 2020 at 10am CAT and at 3pm CAT
- 14th May 2020 at 10am CAT and at 3pm CAT
- 4th June 2020 at 10am CAT and 3pm at CAT
- 23rd July 2020at 10am CAT and 3pm at CAT
- 20th August 2020 at 10am CAT and 3pm at CAT
- 17th September 2020 at 10am CAT and 3pm at CAT
- 8th October 2020 at 10am CAT and 3pm at CAT
- 5th November 2020 at10am CAT and 3pm CAT
- 3rd December 2020 at: 10am CATand 3pm CAT
Watch ICLEI’s Post 2020 webinarshere.
Check ICLEI’s Local and Subnational Engagement Platformhere.