The UNGA Biodiversity Summit is an important milestone for the June-July Virtual Biodiversity Dialogues. This is particularly the case, because the the Summit has such a critical role to play in providing political direction and momentum for COP15 to produce an ambitious post-2020 framework.
Key speakers were:
• David Boyd, UN Special Rapporteur on Environment and Human Rights
• Amy Fraenkel, Executive Secretary, CMS Secretariat
• Gopal Patel, Director, The Bhumi Project
• Christian Schwarzer, Co-Founder, GYBN
• Tim Scott, Senior Policy Advisor, UNDP
• Josefa Tauli, GYBN Steering Committee, IPLC Rights
• Monipher Musasa, International Policy Advisor IFAW
• Dilys Roe, Principal researcher and team leader (biodiversity), IIED
Given the current politics, a potential call to action signed by the world’s largest conservation organisations could help to convince governments of the urgency of action needed at all scales and in all spheres to put nature on a path to recovery by 2030 to achieve full recovery by 2050.